Thursday, February 8, 2007

Safe in Coch!

Heyyyyyyy there!

Well I am finally here and settled. Yesterday was a rough one- our overnight plane ride from Miami to La Paz, then 8 hours spent in a VIP room in La Paz, which is something like 12,000 feet above sea level. The VIP room was awash with twenty-something bodies passed out from exhaustion and soroche (altitude sickness). The airport was also great because you could go outside and stroll, no problem, and the park across the way was full of trees that looked like something out of Edward Scizzorhands. We took a plane that loaded from the back and looked like a revamped old military carrier to Cochabamba.

It was lovely landing. The mountains are green and lush. I immediately remembered what the Andes smell like : eucalyptus. I am staying in a hotel with the other volunteers, but today we spent our time at the PC compound about 20 mins outside of the city. It was like Eden. Its surrounded by adobe walls, quiet with lush grass and all sorts of crops: corn, bright red strawberries and blackberries and a homemade greenhouse. I got to meet my agro director and find out about all the individual sites. It was really exciting and definitely made me feel like I made the right decision in coming here. I just cant wait to get my hands dirty.

I will join my host family for training on Saturday, so my next update will probably come thereafter.

Cuidate mucho,
Yakelyn

No comments: