Oi a todos e boa tarde!
So after 10 days on the road I am finally back in Coch. It is very, very, very nice to be back.Santa Cruz and the Chaco, where we have been all this time for our Tech Week, are very very hot and being back in the coolness of Cochabamba is refreshing. All in all over the past ten days Ive accumulated a ton of stories, captured wild bee colonies, learned to wield a machete, crossed rivers in Moby Dick, gotten to know the rest of the ag kids so so so well (sometimes maybe to well), seen a ton of the country, and, most importantly VISITED AND CONFIRMED THE PLACE I WILL LIVE AND WORK FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS! It is a town of about 300 people in a region called the Chaco, which lies in the south eastern corner of the country. To help yall understand a bit better Ill break down my site placement into a few catergories.
My house: I will live with the parents of Carlos, a bee keeping expert whom my program director knows very well, and whom I go to know over the past week. The previous volunteer left a fridge, stove, matress, bookshelf, books, AND a cell antennae on the roof! The backyard opens up to gorgeous rolling field and trees. I cannot WAIT to take fotos and send them out. Its absolutely spectacular.
My work: I will be working with a few groups of beekeepers from my site and the surrounding communities. Some are more organized than others, but there are a few expers with whom I will cerainly learn a lot from. One is Carlos, the other is Don Juan, one of the hardest working men Ive ever known. He lost one leg to a snake bit a few years ago but he still goes on on hive captures and shimmies up trees like the rest of the men. What Im most excited for are the women! Usually beekeepin is mans work, bu in his area the women have gotten involved, so I will work with them, improving the hives and selling honey products.
Other volunteers: There are two other volunteers very close by, which is a greaaaaaaaaat relief to me. Also, the Chaco volunteers are at least 9 hours from Sana Cruz, so they hang, when they hang, in Yacuiba, a border city about one hour from me. Its really good for me because I dont really care for big cities, all I really need from them is an occasional computer or veggie pizza.
The Chaco: This region is known for its distinct climate and REALLLY hard working people. Its super hot- in the summer its a high of 30 * C (about 80* F) and in summer i can get up o 50* C (about a million *F). Therefore, it has a tradition of rising early and then sleeping from 12-3pm, which jives REAL well with me. It is lush and green, but it doesn rain much. The earth is red. Some people speak Guarani, so I´ll get to learn it! There are snakes and bugs and the bees there are more calm than in other places, presumably because the hot weather keeps them happy. The machismo there is also worse than in the highlands. To quote a female volunteer whos there already, " Compared to the Chaco, I feel like I could walk naked through the streets of Cochabamba and not be bothered." This is the only thing about the Chaco Im not looking forward to. OH, and I may ride a horse for transportation!
Well thats about it for now. I hope you all are doing well and staying out of trouble.
Ayema,
Yakelyn
Sunday, March 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment