Thursday, May 31, 2007

1 down, 23 to go

Ikavino from Santa Cruz!

Im in the big city for a couple of days to buy a few important things,
take a much needed hot shower and maybe even see a movie. Things in
Chimeo are lovely as ever, so Ill take this opportunity to update uds.
a bit on what Ive been up to. Ive decided to format this email in a
This American Life fashion, so this mailing will treat Things That
Have Gone By The Wayside

I. Hygiene. Yes, the Chaco does have a winter, and it just arrived.
Its kind of an on again off again winter- one week it will be in the
60s-70s and sunny, but the following it will be about 40 and sleeting.
I would consider 40s and sleeting in the States ugly, but not all
that grave. With no hot water, indoor heating, and cement walls
however, its roughhhhhh. Furthermore, they cut the water going to
Chimeo about 3 days out of every week. Therefore, the chances of
having water on a day where it is relatively warm are slim, making
bathing and clothes washing pretty tough. Im down to about a weekly,
maybe biweekly shower if Im lucky, and it usually comes out of a large
bucket (this way I can heat up the water.) I am very fortunate as far
as my housing is concerned. The PC has pretty high standards about
cracks in walls and having wood shutters on windows, so my room stays
warm by Chimeno standards.

The good news is that winter will be over in the end of July, and soon
thereafter the scorching heat will return. I never thought I would
miss the heat, but Im really looking forward to its return.

II.Vegetarianism. First I started eating fish again because the Villa
Montes area is very proud of its sabalo and surubi that comes from the
Rio Pilcomayo that runs through town. Its one of the few places in
this landlocked country where one can get fresh fish, so Ive had my
fair share of delicious grilled fish and yuca. Then for mothers day,
Carlos and his brothers killed a pig that we ate al horno. Since it
was a special occasion, I partook, and they partook in a delicious
chocolate cake that I whipped up. Then a yesterday Carlos's wife
prepared a delicious pig asado, and since I had already eaten some of
the same pig, I was convinced to eat a couple more pieces. It was
likewise delicious. After lunch I served tea while Mariana separated
the pig fat from the skin- the fat will go into some homemade bread,
and they have a million dishes planned for the skin. I have to say I
have no problem with this- they use every part of the animal, and the
pigs themselves serve as our garbage cans for anything organic. Its
each pig is truly appreciated, and its all part of the ecosystem of
life in the campo. I plan to help Mariana make bread on Monday, and
maybe Ill even have some more of her delicious asado.

III. Physical activities. Ok, physical activity in of itself has not
gone by the wayside, but Ive decided to take part in some things that
I would never really take part in Stateside. Ive taken to playing
volleyball at the school, and have accepted an offer to join a ladies
soccer team. Its not that I dont like team sports so much, but
rather I am not competitive and not at ALL coordinated, so I generally
steer clear of them to avoid embarrassment. The entire community,
however, rallies around these activities, so if I going to get down
with the Chimenos, Id better get down with team sports.

They say that part of the Peace Corps is losing yourself and then
finding it again as you adjust to the new culture, new friends, and
new customs, so I suppose this is just the first step in that process.
Hopefully in my next email Ill be able to tell you all about how I
have the entire town baking animal shaped cakes, singing too much and
writing left handed. We shall see, until then Id like to ask a couple
small favors of all of you. The previous volunteer left a big box
full of toothbrushes, but no toothpaste. I would like to start a
program where I get the kids in the habit of brushing their teeth by
giving out toothbrushes every three months and, if I can get it,
toothpaste. Most of them would not have the dough to buy toothpaste,
so as far as the sustainability of the project goes, my dad suggested
teaching them to use salt water or baking soda as an alternate. The
favor would be to ask you all if you have friends or relatives who are
dentists or other health workers to donate some of those cheap
toothbrushes or small toothpastes that seem to be in abundance every
time you go to have a cavity filled. Second, I would like to build up
the school library. Right now, the library consists of 3 Spanish
dictionaries. Im not sure if you all, the recipients of my mass
emails, live in areas that sell children's books in Spanish, but Im
asking that the next time you stop by a half price books store or the
Hispanic area of your communities, that you keep your eyes pealed for
something for the kids of Chimeo. Even one books would be of great
help. Thanks in advance to all of you.

Until next time, I will be capturing hives, planting roses, and trying
to get the school garden and computer classes off the ground. Keep in
touch and enjoy the heat!

Ayema,
Yakelyn


PS. Please suppost Kaity Scherbel in her fundaising for the Avon Walk
for Breast Cancer. Shes got fotos as well as some most excellent
shirts for sale, one of which I will soon sport en
Bolivia.-www.everybodylovesboobs.blogspot.com

No comments: