Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A new leaf

Hello all,

September has finally hammered the last nail into the coffin of the Chaco Boliviano´s coffin, and I couldnt be happier. The return of the heat means that life returns to normal and folks come out from their winter hiding places next to the fire or under the covers, giving me lots of work to do. Each day starts at 6 AM, when the air is still cool, the sky is pink, and the smell of delicious Chaco flowers is around every corner.

Theres so much activity that at first I felt stressed- so much to do in such little time (I promise two years really is very little time.) The only way to make sense of it all was to just pick one project and set the others on the back burner. Therefore, Im really focusing on beekeeping and a couple other small side projects for the time bee-ing and putting the water catchment tanks-family gardens-cooking classes- cultural recuperation- artesanry projects on the back burner. The beekeeping is important to focus on for now because with the heat comes the first harvest of the year. A well-maintained bee hive in the Chaco can have up to four harvests a year, while hives in cooler climates are limited to two. Most of the beekeepers in Chimeo dont really know much about general upkeep to increase their harvests, or about how to keep diseases and pests away. So basically I spend my days visiting to beekeepers and trying to get them to come with me to see there often long-forgotten hives. There was another volunteer here named Jaime who Ive heard much about who apparently started formal beekeeping in town. He was here in the mid-nineties, when I was about 10 years old, so the beeboxes he left are all but disintegrated. Thus far the biggest hurdle is lack of time and lack of bee suits and smokers on the part of the other beekeeps, something that may end up beeing my main project in Chimeo.

Aside from the bees, Ive been spending a lot of time teaching computer classes and generally hanging out with kids who come to my new house to read the books that have ALL FINALLY arrived. The second I open my door in the afternoon or come riding into town on my bicicleta kids run up to ask is they can come and "look at" books. A lot of the time it really is kids who dont read so well just looking at the books and their pretty pictures, but some kids really do read and love the stories. One of the biggest hits has been copies of National Geographic En Español that Steve and I picked up in Salta. They are also big fans of Jorge Curioso, an Atlas, and Marry Poppins. Really the biggest of thank yous to all of you who sent books, they are really being cherished. As much as I love to read and love to see the kids reading, I have to admit that running a small library out of my house has become a bit exhausting. I never before realized how much I value my time alone. Ive decided that I need to make a schedule of library hours in order to maintain my sanity. I feel terrible putting a limit on their reading time, but nobody wants a crazy stressed psychotic gringa.

So Im feeling really comfy and cozy in Chimeo. Every day is filled with something new and exciting, and Ive really been getting to know more and more kind and silly families. This week alone Ive been given 1. a bag of radishes 2. a HUGE papaya 3. 6 fresh eggs 4. fresh honey 5. 6 tree-ripened bananas (they are still green and the banana just kind of burts out and they have a flavor totally different from the store bought kind that are picked green. i highly recommend planting a banana tree.) Im starting to feel like Im looking from the inside out when it comes to development. Over the past few weeks three organizations have come pushing their wares- environmental protection, beans, and the purchase of Chimeos beautiful artesanry work. Each time Ive been shocked by the rough manner in which folks arrive in town and not knowing any of these families seem to just start talking without listening. Granted Guarani folks are famous for being a little timid, but it just takes a little time invested to get better results with any project.

Id like to close by mentioning that this last week saw the passing of two wonderful and kind souls- Mindley Jack Morris and Anne Boykin Springer, my grandfather and grandmother. Oddly, they have been divorced for decades yet they passed three days apart from each other in different states. Grampy will be remembered as an adventurous and spiritual soul who made numerous trips to India and around the world and served as a mine sweeper in WWII. I will always remember his love of sunsets that he used to watch from our porch on the family farm in Ohio. Gram was the classiest of ladies whose love of family and sense of humor will live on with her many progeny. Ill be heading home to Cleveland for both of their funeral services at the end of this month, an unexpected but certainly welcome trip home.

Hope all is well and happy fall,
Jacqueline

PS: If youd like to see some more fotos of Chimeo, head to Steves foto website at
http://picasaweb.google.com/stephenawood .

No comments: